100 YEARS OF MONCTON GOLF AND A NEW BEGINNING
As a well-established golf club in the area, Moncton Golf Club has gone through many changes and generations of memories in its 100-year history to get us to where we are today: a meticulously maintained course with a completely refreshed clubhouse where we’re ready to serve members and guests alike.
We are proud of these improvements and want our members to be equally proud of the place that is not just somewhere to come play golf, but a welcoming home base where you can be part of a community of friendly, passionate golfers. From the absolute beginner to the seasoned pro, everyone belongs at this club.
With this in mind, we set out to refresh not only our course and clubhouse, but the way we present ourselves to members and the public. We wanted to communicate that we are honouring our history while looking ahead to the future.
We now have a brand new logo that we developed in partnership with a local designer who has a strong understanding of our history and our vision for the future. We began this redesign with the aim to connect with the younger generation coming up while staying true to where we’ve come from and where we are now.
The most important feeling we wanted to evoke with this image so that it would be truly representative of the club is a strong sense of place. We are known as the golf course on the hill in Riverview. Our proximity to the Petitcodiac River and Coverdale Road are a part of what makes us unique.
We feel we’ve come up with a modern logo that will help us move forward as a club and solidify our place. We’ve captured that sense of space through the logo’s depiction of the brown wave representing the tidal bore of the Petitcodiac, the grey line representing Coverdale Road and the rolling green hill and yellow flag representing the course itself.
Our 100-year anniversary is not only a celebration of our shared history, but a chance for a new beginning and the opportunity to keep Moncton Golf Club fresh and relevant. We hope that you’re as excited as we are about this next chapter at MGC!
A GOLF COURSE RICH IN TRADITION AND HISTORY
Golf came to Moncton at the turn of the century when two Scots brothers, Thomas and Gib Buckham, arrived in Canada as emigrants to work at the woolen mill at Humphreys. Both brothers were ardent golfers, who brought their clubs with them. Seeking a place to practice the sport they loved, they settled on a field a short distance from the mill and two miles from downtown Moncton.
Eventually, with the financial help of the professionals and businessmen of the city, they decided to construct a golf links. Work started around 1900, on the property located on the Mill Road, bounded on the east by the lower pond and on the west side by the Shediac Road cemetery.
The lower part of the links consisted of a rolling meadow while holes six to nine meandered up the hill, covered with clumps of small trees, brambles and blueberry bushes. The links were located a short distance from the railway station and the end of the streetcar line. The brothers’ idea caught on and club membership soon included the elite and wealthy of Moncton. Club members engaged in matches against members of Sackville, Amherst and Truro clubs. The visiting golfers traveled to Humphreys by train.
Early in the century there was a move to build a golf course closer to the centre of Moncton. Rev E.B. Hooper, rector of St. George’s Anglican Church, was one of the principal founders and the Moncton club’s first president. Soon the two clubs start construction of a new course in Gunningsville, known as the Riverdale Club. Eventually, Riverdale becomes the Moncton Golf & Country Club. The course is extended to 18 holes in 1949.
We are proud of our history and traditions that continue to shape your golf experience today.
Here is a timeline for important happenings for our club:
1906: The first Moncton club located on the Salisbury Road adjacent to Jonathon Creek (now Jones Lake) opens for play.
1917: Members of the Humphreys and Moncton clubs start construction of a new course on 125 acres of land in Gunningsville, to be known as The Riverdale Club.
1921: Over 200 members attend the formal opening of the new clubhouse and course (9 holes).
1933: Riverdale extends to 12 holes.
1934: Riverdale becomes a charter member of the New Brunswick Golf Association.
1942: The Riverdale club becomes the Moncton Golf and Country Club.
1949: The club is enlarged to an 18-hole course.
1994: The "old" course is transformed to what it is today with three new holes and full practice facility.